Green Cake | Mom Blog: written by a teacher-mom, but not just for moms- a blog for everyone

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Cake

Lucky Kiddos.....Because it's St. Patrick's Day, I thought I would surprise the kids with a little something green.  I didn't go all out though because I used a chocolate cake mix (poor kids!).  I did decide to make the icing from scratch and went with buttercream (recipe below). I added a few drops of green food coloring while mixing.  After I frosted the cake, I used my icing tips to make some little flowers. I just free-handed the clover so it may not look all that great. It's nothing real special, just something fun to do.





As you can see, they liked it!
Buttercream Frosting Recipe

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.


3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED

1/2 teaspoon table salt

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream

Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed  until the sugar has been mixed well with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for for 3 minutes. If the frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time. Enjoy!

NOTE:  I actually like to put the cake in the fridge inbetween servings. Cold cake is YUMMY!
____________________

If you enjoyed this posting, please share it on Face book by clicking on the link below.

Also, I love comments, so please feel free to leave one.
Thanks for stopping by. Please visit often.

No comments:

LinkWithin