Car Seat Regulations | Mom Blog: written by a teacher-mom, but not just for moms- a blog for everyone

Friday, May 20, 2011

Car Seat Regulations

To face forward or not, that is the question.

Most parents look forward to the time when they can flip that car seat around and allow their toddler to ride in a car the 'normal' way.... facing forward.  How nice it is to actually be able to see what your child is doing. They can stretch thier legs out. They can see out the window. They are growing up!  Well, as of April of 2011, some startling statistics have been published. It's surely making me rethink things......

When I took my son for his one year well-check, his pediatricain mentioned that the American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that children remain rear-facing in their car seat until the age of two.  I made note of what she said and of course, I felt it necessary to take the advice and follow it. I was quite surprised though, because my little guy is losing leg room by the week, and the poor guy is probably just ready to see the world like his big brother and sister.  As a month or so passed, I noticed a few other kids my son's age riding forward in their car seats.  This has prompted me to read up on this new suggestion by the American Academy of Pediatrics.  Keep in mind, at this point , keeping kids rear-facing in their car seat is simply a suggestion, although it is my guess at some point it may become law. After doing my own research, I think my little Huddie will remain rear-facing for some time to come.

So, just how safe is it to just leave your child facing the rear?  or Maybe I should say, "What is the risk to your child by turning their car seat around before the age of two?"  Ever heard that a picture is worth  a thousand words?  Check this out:


Courtesy of University of Michigan Child Passenger Protection

   
If that picture doesn't make you rethink things, then watch this video:


How about a personal story?


Children under age 2 are 75 percent less likely to die or be severely injured in a crash if they are riding rear-facing

Children should transition from a rear-facing seat to a forward-facing seat with a harness, until they reach the maximum weight or height for that seat. (most people turn their child around at the minimum requirement of 20 pounds or age 1)

Toddlers are up to five times safer if they remain rear-facing until age two.

By the way, only 5% of impacts invloving kids are rear end impacts.

If you have a friend with a baby under the age of 2, share this blog posting. Those are startling statistics!!


_______________________________________

If you enjoyed this posting, please share it on Face book by clicking on the link below.

Also, I love comments, so please feel free to leave one.
Thanks for stopping by. Please visit often!

1 comment:

baby car seat said...

Thanks for sharing such a useful information with us. Rear facing car seat is best and safe for under two year of baby.

LinkWithin