Get some Cell Phone Etiquette, Please! ~ Mom Blog ~ | Mom Blog: written by a teacher-mom, but not just for moms- a blog for everyone

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Get some Cell Phone Etiquette, Please! ~ Mom Blog ~

Recently, I was shopping at the grocery store, making my rounds up and down the isles when I couldn't help but overhear this lady talking on her cell phone. I say 'overhear', but honestly, you couldn't be near her and not hear. No eavesdropping involved on my part. Even when I got one isle ahead of her I still heard her over the top of the bread loaves. I decided to put some pep in my step and moved ahead of her quickly.

Then, there she was beside me again. She caught up with me as I hit the freezer isle. As I reached into the freezer for some corn, she casually walks by pushing her toddler in the buggy. Then I hear it.

"I told that man when I married him I would not divorce him."
"But you know, he called me up and said, Baby I want a divorce."
"I figured, well, since he asked, I just might as well go ahead and give him one."
"I don't know what that man's problem is!"

yada yada yada....

First off, how can you have that conversation in front of a small child? Second, how can you have a blaring conversation of a private matter walking down the isle of the grocery store? It would have been no different had she just announced her issues over the grocery store's PA system. She simply had no tact and wasn't using good judgement in front of her little one.... AKA- rude!

I was really quite shocked by this and decided to check out some cell phone etiquette guidelines. What do you know, the first paragraph discusses how one should leave conversations such as this away from the publics' listening ears.  It sort of goes along with the TMI... it's just Too Much Info., so don't share it with me!

My curiosity was peaked at some other etiquette guidelines, and I would agree that I have been annoyed by many of these, such as:

  • annoying ring tones, especially loud ones
  • distracted drivers
  • talking loudly when it's not necessary
  • holding up check-out lines
  • etc. -the list goes on
Those are just some basics, but if you really want to get proper with your cell phone etiquette, you may want to refer to this info. that was featured on http://www.cellphones.org/ . A few of the ideas I thought were great suggestions, such as the 'phone free' time referred to for when kids use cell phones. None of my kids have cell phones, but Madison is probably getting one for Christmas. I can see implementing this with her.

What do you think?  Have you ever been annoyed by anyone's cell phone habits?  I love comments here at thebloggingmom.com 

Cell Phone Etiquette

If you enjoyed this posting, please share it by clicking on one of the social media buttons below.


No comments:

LinkWithin