Sister Wives ~ Mom Blog ~ | Mom Blog: written by a teacher-mom, but not just for moms- a blog for everyone

Monday, October 18, 2010

Sister Wives ~ Mom Blog ~

I am not a big TV buff, but every once in a while a show will grab my attention and I get a little hooked.  In this case, the show Sister Wives on TLC has done exactly that.  I am not sure what it is about this show that has drawn me in unless it has something to do with the religion vs. law aspect of it.  I think one thing that intrigues me most is that this family is willing to risk the dad, Kody Brown, going to prison in order to speak up about polygamy and share the lifestyle they live with the world. There are not many people that have such a strong belief about something that they would be willing to take such a risk. crazy, but whatever! At least I get to benefit from the entertainment of it.

photo borrowed from cbsnews.com 

Of course this topic has lead me to do some reading on polygamy, and from what I can find, this is what the law reads in the state of Utah where the family resides:
___________________________________________________________
UTAH CONSTITUTION
Article 3 Section
The following ordinance shall be irrevocable without the consent of the United States and the people of this State: [Religious toleration -- Polygamy forbidden.] First: -- Perfect toleration of religious sentiment is guaranteed. No inhabitant of this State shall ever be molested in person or property on account of his or her mode of religious worship; but polygamous or plural marriages are forever prohibited.
___________________________________________________________

With that being said, it looks like this law clearly states that, despite religious beliefs, polygamous marriages are illegal. So, what does this family do now that they have drawn the attention of investigators?  Hire a high-powered attorney and try to win against the state of Utah, which is working to devise a case against them. I say 'hire', but I'm guessing with the publicity of this family, this is a pro bono case for an attorney trying to make a name for himself. It will be interesting to see how this case turns out or if it goes to court at all.

Next season should be quite entertaining. That is, if Kody doesn't have to serve time for, as he says, "loving four women". I am looking forward to seeing what kind of jealousies arise in the household with the pretty wife number four joining the family.  She seems to be stirring up what seemed to be a happy household. I wonder if she will end up moving into the house with the rest of the family.  It seems kind of awkward for her to have her own house away from the rest of the bunch..... so much to wonder about with this very interesting polygamist lifestyle. I shall stay tuned.


No comments:

LinkWithin