What is this parent thinking? ~ Mom Blog ~ | Mom Blog: written by a teacher-mom, but not just for moms- a blog for everyone

Saturday, October 23, 2010

What is this parent thinking? ~ Mom Blog ~



Yesterday I was out on my daily stroll with baby Hudson.

Breeze was feeling good.
Baby was sleeping.
I was working my way up the hills.

I enjoy these walks now that the weather is cooler, plus it gets me out of the house for an hour or so. I try to plan these walks around Hudson's nap time, so I can get a full three miles in. I am blessed to live in a sidewalk community that is quite nice actually. It is a golf course/country club neighborhood that offers many beautiful sights.

Yesterday though, I was shocked by one of the sights.

It went something like this.....

VROOOOM! VROOOOM! (loud noise) 
ZOOOM!  ZOOOM! (fast machine) 
CRAP! (it's coming right at me) 
WHAT THE &*^#*@*?  (a kid on a dirt bike full speed ahead, down the sidewalk, headed straight at me)

Yes, for real!  It really went like that.

Here I am just strolling along, looking straight ahead, when SHhhh ZaaaM!  out of nowhere this kid comes flying right at me... you know, 'petal to the metal' fast.

My first thought was.....This kid is crazy!
My second thought was.....He is ON the sidewalk!
My third thought was..... What parent is letting their 11 year old son ride a motor bike full speed ahead (faster than the speed limit for cars) on the freaking SIDEWALK?????

Thank the good Lord this kid saw me and that I moved to the grassy area. He slowed down and turned into a driveway. As I approached him, I recognized him, and actually said to him, "I don't really think you need to be riding that on the sidewalk."

His response... (Ignore the nice lady).... VROOOM! VROOOM!... speed away.

He then sped back and forth past me about four more times before I made it to the end of the street to head back home. As I walked past the cul-de-sac where he lives (which is a couple of streets over from me) I looked towards his house since he had turned that way. To my surprise,  his mom was on the front porch watching him.... cheering him -so to speak!

She saw me looking at her and I really wanted to go talk to her, but it was such an awkward situation. I decided that if I saw it again, I would do exactly that.

So, the question goes back to.... What was this parent thinking? 

Why would you put the safety of others in jeopardy? Why would you let your 11 year old put his own life at risk, which is ultimately what was happening. This neighborhood is not a dirt bike trail. This neighborhood has small kids running around, cars pulling out, people walking babies!! Plus, an eleven year old simply  doesn't have the forethought nor the reaction time/quick thinking skills to handle such a situation.

THINK PARENTS! THINK!  or GRAB A CLUE is more like it!
________________________

If you have enjoyed reading this posting, please share it on facebook.  On the left side, you will see a link to click on.  Thanks for visiting!




No comments:

LinkWithin