Costume Condemnation - Her Son is Gay.....~ Mom Blog ~ | Mom Blog: written by a teacher-mom, but not just for moms- a blog for everyone

Monday, November 8, 2010

Costume Condemnation - Her Son is Gay.....~ Mom Blog ~


mom blog speaks out

or not!

Okay, every now and then I just have to rant, and so here is my rant for the day!!

This blog posting of mine is written in response to a story hitting the blogosphere as we speak... hot off the press.... titled, "My Son is Gay".

As I respond to this, I will make it very clear that I have been an elementary teacher for the past umpteen years, I am a Christian, I have three kids of my own, and I am quite familiar with Halloween and the idea of dressing up as a character.  Um.....did you get that part????? Dressing up as a C*H*A*R*A*C*T*E*R!!! I guess that is why this story gets under my skin so flippin much!!

For starters, I am so stinkin proud of this mom for #1- encouraging her child to step out of the box and be a character from a cartoon that he absolutely loves, and #2- for putting herself in the forefront of the public eye in the defense of her decision, as this crazy non-sense becomes a national story, and #3 for being married to a detective... well, that has nothing to do with the story, but my sister is a detective :-)  

So, we have this mom who makes a costume for her son, and the costume happens to be a girl character.  The little boy shows up at the Church preschool sporting the costume, and he is basically bullied by adults as they question, "Did HE choose that costume", and saying things like  "You should have never ALLOWED this!".... and now, somehow, this one decision is going to turn her son GAY????? Oh my... golly...gee! You can't be serious!

Did I miss something here?  Didn't I say this was a church preschool?  Who are they to judge?  I think in addition to the mom of this little boy being on the Today Show, they should invite the bullying mommies and get them to explain what kind of character traits they are instilling in their kids. Maybe they could quote some scripture on how to not be judgemental.  Just a thought.

Okay, I think I am going to head out and check the Halloween clearance sales for next year's costumes...

My daughter... Maybe she can be Batman or some 'boy' character from Star Wars.  My sons.... I am thinking they can be Cheerleaders or maybe Wonder Woman.

__________________________

If you enjoyed this posting, please share it on facebook by clicking on the link below.

Also, I love comments, so please feel free to leave one.
Thanks for stopping by. Please visit often.


2 comments:

Perfecta said...

I second this post. After reading the first, and then yours... Awesome. Thanks for stepping up and saying something too! Heck, my daughter was Venom, and this year she was Optimus Prime. She LIVES for the boy costumes.. wanted to be a ninja, etc. I don't see how halloween can allow anyone to pass judgement on a child/parent. Its a fun time to be enjoyed :)
Your posts are thought provoking, and wonderful, and now I'm gonna follow! Cheers!

Perfecta said...

I second this post. After reading the first, and then yours... Awesome. Thanks for stepping up and saying something too! Heck, my daughter was Venom, and this year she was Optimus Prime. She LIVES for the boy costumes.. wanted to be a ninja, etc. I don't see how halloween can allow anyone to pass judgement on a child/parent. Its a fun time to be enjoyed :)
Your posts are thought provoking, and wonderful, and now I'm gonna follow! Cheers!

LinkWithin