The President is Coming, We have to Clean! ~ Mom Blog ~ | Mom Blog: written by a teacher-mom, but not just for moms- a blog for everyone

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The President is Coming, We have to Clean! ~ Mom Blog ~

Do you ever think back to how things were when you were a kid? Do you remember some of the interactions you had with your siblings?  I'm sure if you are like me, you can remember some things very vividly and others not much at all.

Sometimes when I watch my two older children, now ages 13 and 11, I am reminded of my childhood with my siblings.  My daughter is a lot like I was at her age. She can be a bit bossy at times and quite demanding towards her brother.  I would like to think I was never like that, but truth be told,  I was. 

I am a middle child, with a brother two years older and a sister four years younger.  My sister and I shared a bedroom until I was about ten years old. Of course, sharing a bedroom meant we spent lots of time interacting when we were in our room.....playing, making messes, etc.  My kids get a kick out of hearing some of the stories I share.  Their favorite is the one about the President.

Kids will be kids and their bedrooms can get a bit pig penish. This was the case with my sister and me.  Here I was four years older than her, and of course, I hated to clean. So, how am I supposed to get my kindergarten aged little sister to do the cleaning for me? Why...... Tell her the President is coming, of course! Isn't that what you would do?  LOL... probably not, but it worked like a charm  ....... For a while, anyway.

How did I accomplish this? I would say, "We need to clean because the President is coming to our house. He will for sure come to our bedroom."  She would be like, "The President is coming here?" I was so convincing. Poor thing would clean, then I would inspect.  If there were problems, I would just tell her, "Oh... this is not going to work, he is going to expect things to be much cleaner than this."....... 

AND, of course, the President wouldn't show up.  I would come up with some wise ass excuse telling her that he got held up at a meeting or something of sorts.  Then a week later when our room needed cleaning again, I would say something like, "I hear he is going to be able to work us in his schedule again."  or something crazy like that.  This little game big fat lies went on for a few weeks.  I probably got a good three-five cleanings out of it.

Some good did come out of this situation though.  I taught her the importance of cleaning (you know... you never know who might show up), which I am sure is why she maintains a very clean house as an adult.

Do you have any favorite memories between you and your siblings? Please do share.

____________________________
If you enjoyed this posting, please share it on face book by clicking on the link below.

Also, I love comments, so please feel free to leave one.
Thanks for stopping by. Please visit often.


3 comments:

Heather's Crazy Life said...

:( nope unfortunately I suck...No haha...I dont have a brother or sister I grew up with but hey I have 6 kids to make up for that! LOL...But I loved reading this post..it made me laugh and sounded like something I would have done if I HAD a sister or brother..lol

ChronicNerd said...

As a big sister myself I remember tricking my little sister (only 2 years younger so not as easily tricked) into doing things for me. Those memories are what keep us together! Who else do you have imaginary vacations with when you have to share a bedroom because grandma is visiting? Who else can you convince to tell you all your Christmas presents by telling her every year that you will tell her hers too if she tells you first?? No one! Sibling are such a blessing

ChronicNerd said...

As a big sister myself I remember tricking my little sister (only 2 years younger so not as easily tricked) into doing things for me. Those memories are what keep us together! Who else do you have imaginary vacations with when you have to share a bedroom because grandma is visiting? Who else can you convince to tell you all your Christmas presents by telling her every year that you will tell her hers too if she tells you first?? No one! Sibling are such a blessing

LinkWithin